Our Lady of Guadalupe School is a private Catholic school that opened in the fall of 1950. It was one of a number of schools built through the efforts of Cardinal McIntrye. Initially, there was no one to administer the school, but a novena of Masses in honor of St. Columban brought the Columban Sisters to the school. As a result, they agreed to administer the school and serve as faculty.
The Columban Sisters were a large part of the school community until the early 90s when a lay principal took over. Despite no longer serving in an administrative capacity, the Sisters maintained an active role in the life of the school. Sr. Maura Ryan continued for several years as the supervisor of the Writing to Read Program for Kindergarten – 2nd grade while Sr. Margaret Devine was instrumental in organizing the alumni organization and taught music classes. Today, Sr. Margaret Devine continues to be the backbone of our alumni association which provides additional funding to enhance the academic, spiritual, and overall wellbeing of students attending Our Lady of Guadalupe School.
Today, rigorous academics continue to be emphasized which helps produce high levels of student learning. Our graduates continue to distinguish themselves in high school and college which encourages our present students to strive for success. The dedicated and committed staff of Our Lady of Guadalupe School sets high standards for academic achievements and continually incorporates the best-proven techniques and materials into the curriculum. We seek to mold students into good Catholics who can feel at home when participating in church, school, and/or community-related events. The tradition of excellence of the Columban Sisters which began in 1950 continues today as we seek to provide students an outstanding Catholic education while encouraging them to serve God and others as good citizens of society who think critically and creatively.
Presently, our staff consists of ten full-time lay teachers, one part-time teacher, one full-time secretary, one part-time accountant, and one full-time lay administrator. The campus has ten classrooms for students from Transitional Kindergarten through Eighth grade as well as a faculty lounge.