Our Lady of Guadalupe Church began in a garage located in the 4100 block of Fisher Street in East Los Angeles. The first Church was founded by Cristeros who were being persecuted and fled Mexico, thus dedicating the small “church” to Our Lady of Guadalupe, their patroness.
In 1922 Bishop John J. Cantwell appointed Father Jose Grajales to minister to the Mexican immigrants in the area. An extension was added to the garage converting it to a small church “a capillita” that held about 100 people. Later Fr. Canseco, pastor from 1938-1947, began plans for a new Church. In 1951 the new pastor, Fr. Patrick Kelley (1947-1951), began plans to build the school.
The school was completed in 1950.
From 1957 to 1991 Monsignor William Atwill headed the parish and in 1967 built the church on Hammel Street, blessed by Cardinal James Francis McIntyre on July 16th.